Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 in review

Happy New Year dear friends!

I am officially the world’s worst blogger… cause, well, I don’t blog! I’ll try again this year and we will see how it goes. As we get into this new year, it almost feels like the slate has been wiped clean and you can have a fresh start. However, I wanted to look back at my goals from last year and see how I did on them. I did set a lot, so I’m hoping I at least made it halfway through them!


Cook more – I did better at this in the first couple of months of 2012, but overall, I think we were able to stay in more than we used to. So I’d say this was accomplished, but we still have work to do!

Learn to knit  - I didn’t even buy knitting needles. This one is a fail, but I’m adding it to my list for this year.

Pray more – I’d say I did this, but I still feel like it’s never enough. I’ve been better at asking others what they need prayer on and thinking of praying for those people throughout the day. But the area I need improvement in is praying for others without a specific thing to pray for. I need to pray for Isaac and my family more, as well as for our religious and political leaders, etc.

Organize! Goal was to have at least 5 more organization systems set up around the house this year. I did it! I got my jewelry organized (well, still need to do the necklaces but the earrings are all in their place as we speak), got a little organizer for my scarves, one for my belts, got a bunch of baskets and bins for cables, got my makeup drawer organized, and redid our entire guest bedroom with TONS of organization in there. I love it, no more random books and boxes everywhere in the spare bedroom!

Give better gifts – I did okay here, but still gave too many gift cards…

Learn about photography – I totally did this! Took a couple of classes and learned a LOT. Still much more to learn. My parents got me Photoshop Elements for Christmas so as soon as I get my laptop cleaned up, that’s going on there and I’m taking that class!

Have a cleaner house – Overall, I managed to accomplish this one. It was tough after we got Halli and she had her puppies, but I mopped at least once a day and it helped a lot. I still manage to keep things picked up and clean most of the time… now if only my floors would clean themselves. Ugh.

Be more adventurous and spontaneous – Not sure I’d say I accomplished this, since I can’t think of one really crazy thing I did without planning it this year. Darn.

Read more – Goal was to read 4 books. Failed miserably. Started 2-3, but didn’t finish a single one. :o/

Be healthier – I halfway got there. I got in pretty good shape doing Insanity for about 6 months and I was even eating a little healthier, but once we got Halli and we had the surprise of the puppies, every waking minute was dedicated to those squealing little furballs and I stopped working out altogether.

Spend more time with loved ones - I did manage to have quite a few get-togethers at our house (including my sister’s massive bridal shower), but I still want to do it even more!

Save more money – Not good. We took a few hits this year with our rescue having puppies, me losing a big account at work the previous year, and Isaac losing his job, so the car fund did NOT grow as planned and we didn’t make extra payments on the house as we would like to. Oh well, it’s a new year and I’m expecting better things!

Go somewhere I’ve never been. – I’m not sure we managed to do this… we went to the usual spots: Charleston, Asheville, and NYC. But I guess that within NYC we saw a lot of things we hadn’t seen before, does that count? I also went to Toronto for work and saw some parts of it I hadn’t seen before!

Give more! I did this! I gave a good bit of my time, energy, and money this year to great causes. As a church, we helped an orphanage get beds for every single child there (hundreds I think). I also volunteered a lot of time for the Operation Christmas Child project at our church. And as I do each year, I volunteered at Dunbar Child Development Center for their Christmas carnival.

Learn to sew. – Didn’t happen. We were super delayed in buying a desk and getting it set up in our guest bedroom so by the time that was done, it was October. And then I got busy. So I went to the store to get some thread yesterday and plan on starting this one in the next week or two!

So out of 15, I did about 7-9 (or at least got started on them). I’d say that isn’t bad, but I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say I was kind of disappointed in a few of those. So here we go. Time to set new ones for 2013! That will be in my next post :)

Love you all,

Judith

No comments:

Post a Comment